I’m not sure if I’m the only one, I have issues with paying $16 for a salad at a restaurant. A few slices of tomato and cucumber, maybe an olive or two and then a bed of lettuce. I cannot justify it.
Here is why – this is what I believe a salad is.
There are a few critical ingredients:
– circulate your greens, my favourites are green spinach leaves, kale, butter and cos lettuce and mixed leaves. However, I also like to mix up the greens by placing celery, snow peas and green spouts in the mix too.
– cucumber, capsicum, corn, sun dried tomatoes, olives, mango, cherry tomatoes and avocado. These are the staples that are in all of our salads.
– these are essential! I always use 1 cold pressed oil – avocado, olive, flaxseed, chia seed, macadamia, almond or sesame oil. I always place 1-2 tablespoons of this as the base of my dressing.
– I will use Bragg’s liquid amino acids, tamari, balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, lime juice or honey.
– I will crush up flax seed crackers, add almonds, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, a handful of roasted mixed nuts including walnuts, cashews and brazil nuts. I like to add cranberries, especially at Christmas for colour and also like to place chia seeds, buckwheat, sesame seeds and flaxseeds on the top. Any combination of any and all of these are awesome but mix it up so it’s always a surprise!
If we are adding meat to our salads we will choose tuna, salmon, smoked salmon, lamb or chicken.
Although a lot of the time we do not add the meat at all as the salad itself is a big meal.
So as you can see, I’m a bit of a salad fan! I LOVE my salads, we make them in BIG bowls and often eat them as the main meal of our day at lunch time. At times I get carried away with making my salads and so I have the left overs for tea.
I hope this gives you some food for though and inspiration now as we come into Summer!
Disclaimer: This blog is private and is intended for the subscribers of Puraforce Remedies only.